Phony Veteran Buster's Kit

The fastest and easiest way to determine if a Person is lying about their Military Service, is to contact the National Archives and Records Administration's National Personnel Records Center.

They maintain a Internet Web Site at: Military Personnel Records. Here you will find complete information on submitting a Standard Form 180 request for Military Records.

You may download the Standard Form 180, "Request Pertaining to "Military Records" using "Adobe Acrobat Reader" from here.
[SF 180 Front]

[SF 180 Back]

If you don't have access to a printer, or are unable to download the SF 180, you may still submit a request for military records. You must use one of the three options below.

1. Contact the National Archives and Records Administration'sFax-on-Demand System. The Fax-on-Demand system makes brochures, informational sheets, and other documents available to Federal agencies and the members of the public who have access to fax machines. The SF 180 is available as document number 2255.
NOTE: You must call the system from a fax machine (using the handset) in order to receivedocuments. Voice instructions will guide you. There is no charge for this service except forany long distance telephone charges you may incur. The phone number to access the fax-on-demand system is as follows: (301) 713-6905.

2. Call the NPRC (MPR) telephone information lines. Callers can leave the name and address to which they want the SF 180 sent.

3. Send your request as a letter. Requests must contain enough information to identify the record among the more than 70 million on file at NPRC(MPR). Certain basic information is needed to locate military service records. This information includes the veteran's complete name used while in service, service number or social security number, branch of service, and dates of service. Date and place of birth may also be helpful, especially if the service number is not known.

Freedom Of Information Act. There is no Standard Form for a Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA) request as such. You simply state in your letter that you are requesting the information under the FOIA.

All requests for Military Records must be made in writting. You must Sign and Date your letter. Send it to;

National Personnel Records

Army (or Navy or Air Force; select which Service)

Military Personnel Records

9700 Page Blvd.

St. Louis, MO 63132

Remember, many Phonies claim their Service was "TOP SECRET". Many Military Members did serve on Secret Missions and Projects. However, the Project or Mission was Secret, not the Personnel. There will still be Military Records for the Person no matter how "Secret" the mission.


No requests for military personnel records or information from them will be accepted at the e-mailaddress below. The Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S.C. 552a) and Department of Defense directives require a written request, signed and dated, to access information from military personnel records. The e-mail address should be used only to request general information (hours of operations, procedures, forms) or to submit compliments, complaints or concerns.



If the person, whose Military History your trying to verify is significant in your life and you can't discover their Social Security, Service Numbers or other required information, contact Lt. Colonel Dick Bielen, USA (Ret) at U.S. Locator Service. This Private firm specializes in locating former members of the military as well as obtaining copies of their service records. They will also conduct a background check on a person's military service and claims. Fees will be charged, but they are reasonable. Fees start at around $30.00 per hour. You can work out the full price in advance. Contact Dick Bielen at: or by phone at: (314) 423-0860.